Three Monbulk sides in finals

Monbulk bowlers in action.

Tuesday pennant saw the holding of semi-finals with all Monbulk teams participating.

Monbulk 1 who finished in top place played at home against Mooroolbark.

Eric Markham’s rink began slowly and after the sixth end was down by 8 shots, 2 to 10.

They then gradually pegged the margin back and when they obtained 5 shots on the seventeenth end had hit the lead.

However, Monbulk was able to win the last 4 ends to record a two shot win, 15 to 13.

This gave Monbulk a victory by 21 shots, 65 to 44 and a place in the section final.

Monbulk 2 played away at Glen Waverley on grass and struggled to keep up with their opponents.

Graeme Goller’s rink started well on the first end with a 3, but was only able to win five more ends losing by 21 shots, 11 to 32.

Monbulk trailed by 12 shots after the eleventh end, but then bowled brilliantly to lose only one more end to take out the game by 4 shots, 24 to 20.

Monbulk 3 played at home against their opponents from the previous week Heatherdale.

Monbulk were able to get the upper hand on two of the three rinks which gave the team victory and a place in the section final.

Don Barnetson’s rink had a battle throughout the game winning only 7 ends and losing by 15 shots, 11 to 26.

Monbulk 3 won by 9 shots, 62 to 53.

The section finals were held on Thursday 14 March with Monbulk 1 taking on Warburton at Boronia and Monbulk 3 playing Eastwood Golf at Mooroolbark.

Monbulk was able to hang on in a nail biting finish to win by 5 shots, 57 to 52.

Richard Cookson’s rink led by 7 shots after the twelfth end, but then really struggled over the last 9 ends only scoring 2 shots to lose by 11 shots, 15 to 26.

Eric Markham’s rink led by 10 shots with 7 ends to play but with the Warburton team lifting their game scores was level with one end to play.

Monbulk was able to gain one shot on the final end to win the rink 18 shots to 17.

Andrew Bell’s rink took control early in the match and came away with a convincing win by 15 shots, 24 to 9.

This meant that Monbulk were section champions for this season and will be promoted to Division 1 for the next bowls season.

Saturday pennant saw Monbulk with all three teams participating in the finals.

All Monbulk teams were in the semi-final with a win meaning they would contest the section final.

Monbulk 1 played Croydon at home and was playing well early which gave them a comfortable lead.

Richard Cookson’s rink was 8 shots in front after the tenth end and went on to record a convincing win by 14 shots, 26 to 12.

Eric Markham’s rink were one shot down after the seventh end, but then obtained the maximum eight shots to take control of the contest and eventually run out winners by 17 shots, 32 to 15.

Brian Smith’s rink trailed by 10 shots after the fifteenth end but then rallied to draw the rink.

Andrew Bell’s rink bowled consistently well to record a big win by 19 shots, 35 to by 10 shots after the fifteenth end but then rallied to draw the rink.

Andrew Bell’s rink bowled consistently well to record a big win by 19 shots, 35 to 16.

Overall, Monbulk 1 won by 50 shots, 108 to 58 and earned a place in the final.

Monbulk 2 played Cardinia Waters at home and on their home green was never in any trouble.

Case Broekhof’s rink won the majority of ends and cruised to a 22 shot win, 31 to 9.

Eric Furby’s rink bowled consistently well and with one multiple won by 10 shots, 22 to 10.

Peter Francis’ rink controlled the game all day and won by 26 shots, 37 to 11. Graeme Goller’s rink had a closer contest but maintained control to win by 7 shots, 20 to 13.

This gave Monbulk 2 an overall win by 67 shots, 110 to 43 and a place in the final.

Monbulk 3 played away at Vermont South and was able to get bowls in the head early to give them the lead.

Peter Hiscox’s rink got right on top and went on to win by 27 shots, 34 to 7.

Alan Brooke’s rink had a close contest but eventually went down by 4 shots.

This result was Monbulk 3 won overall by 23 shots, 51 to 28 and this meant that all three Monbulk sides had progressed to the final which is a club record.