FERNTREE GULLY STAR MAIL
Home » News » Council focuses on wildlife safety on Wellington Rd

Council focuses on wildlife safety on Wellington Rd

The Yarra Ranges Council has backed an urgent motion to take action on the rising number of animals being hit and killed on Wellington Road.

At a council meeting on Tuesday, 26 August, Cr Peter McIlwain raised the issue under urgent business, calling the situation “unacceptable” for both wildlife and drivers.

“It’s a long-standing issue, but it’s gotten worse over the last year,” Cr McIlwain said.

“This is now an immediate and dangerous risk, and we need to alert the minister to the urgency of it.”

The motion follows a recent petition from the community and comes ahead of the lead petitioner speaking at the Victorian Parliament’s inquiry into wildlife road strikes.

Cr Len Cox OAM also supported the motion, he said the road runs through bushland full of wildlife, and animals often try to cross without warning.

“They get hit all the time. It’s deadly for them, and dangerous for drivers, we need proper fencing to keep them off the road, and we need it soon,” Cr Cox said.

Council will now write to the State Government asking for urgent measures to stop the roadkill on Wellington Road and make it safer for everyone. The motion was carried unanimously.

Digital Editions