Monbulk clings to finals spot

Monbulk coach Andrew Bell in action.

Monbulk 1 was met with drizzly rain and a tough opposition when it travelled to Bayswater on Saturday, leaving the side clinging tightly to fourth position.

Andrew Bell’s rink fell behind early, but then made up ground in the middle stages to be level with two ends to play.

The Monbulk team grabbed three shots on the 20th end, but then dropped a three with the game ending in a tie.

Brian Smith’s rink began well and saw a 19-17 win.

Richard Cookson’s rink led by four shots, but lost the last five ends to lose, 20-18.

Eric Markham’s rink stayed in touch early in the game, but was then outplayed to lose, 26-10.

Monbulk lost the overall, 84-68.

Monbulk 2 continued its undefeated season against Upwey/Tecoma at home.

Graeme Goller’s rink grabbed the lead early and had enough in reserve to win 21-18.

Case Broekhoff’s rink controlled the game throughout to win 23-11, while Eric Furby’s rink was in command from the early ends to win 36-13.

Norma Clerke’s finished strongl to win 22-17. The meant an overall win, 102-59.

Monbulk 3 played at Chirnside Park and took the overall points by 10 shots.

Peter Hiscox’s rink was one shot behind after 16 ends and then won the last five ends to win 26-16.

Alan Brooke’s rink had a tight battle throughout and was three shots down with two ends to play. They won the last two ends to tie the game 18 all.

On Tuesday Monbulk 1 took the long trip to Albert Park and came up short.

Richard Cookson’s rink struggled early, nine shots down after five ends. It then won the majority of ends, but could not make up the final margin of seven shots.

Eric Markham’s rink had a close battle in the first 14 ends only trailing by two shots. However, they then dropped away and lost a six to eventually lose by 13 shots.

Andrew Bell’s rink gave the opposition seven shots start, but reeled them in and then got past them to win, 23-15.

This meant Monbulk lost the overall 64-52.

Monbulk 2 played at Mooroolbark and found the opposition difficult, going down 71-53.

Eric Furby’s rink conceded a number of multiples to go down by 10 shots.

Graeme Goller’s rink fought hard to stay in the contest, but was unable to win any multiples in the last seven ends to lose, 23-15. Klaus Eisele’s rink started slowly but then won four ends in a row including a six to lead by five shots. They then dropped a five to let their opponents back in the contest and in a thriller they won the last end to have a tie.

Monbulk 3 played Mooroolbark at home and was outplayed losing 76-37.

Mike Harris’ rink began slowly and gave away a 13 shot lead after five ends. They then held their own, but lost the last six ends to lose by 24 shots.

Les Bigelow’s rink struggled only winning six ends and went down by 23 shots. Ray Pike’s rink salvaged some points by grabbing a couple of multiples to win by eight shots.