Father and son killed as falling gum tree smashes moving car

A 46-year-old man and 10-year-old boy were driving along Monbulk Road in Sherbrooke.

A father and son from Cockatoo have died after a gum tree fell onto their car as they drove through Sherbrooke on Sunday evening, 14 July.

The 46-year-old man and 10-year-old boy were driving along Monbulk Road in Sherbrooke and were heading towards Kallista from Belgrave when their vehicle was crushed by a falling gum tree just after 5:30pm.

Monbulk Police told the Mail that the tree was around 20 metres tall and one metre in diameter.

It is understood that the tree fell from the embankment on the high side of the road.

Ambulance, CFA, SES, and Police crews attended the scene, and the road was closed for several hours before opening again at 10pm.

On Sunday, The Bureau of Meteorology warned of damaging winds for parts of the state and the Ferny Creek weather station recorded a wind gust of 33 kilometres per hour at 6pm – 30 minutes after the incident.

Investigators will examine whether wet weather played a part in the deaths and Yarra Ranges Highway Patrol said they have spoken to Yarra Ranges Council about getting trees checked.

“Under those circumstances it’s just really unfortunate luck … there’s nothing that could have been done.”

“We have spoken to Yarra Ranges Council about getting the trees along that section checked.”

In a post on Facebook, Kallista-The Patch Fire Brigade paid tribute to the family.

“More often than not we can make a difference, sadly yesterday nothing could be done,:

“A lot of times with traffic accidents there is some contributing factors but yesterday was just one of those freak accidents that can affect anyone.”

“Thanks for the great professionalism shown by the attending agencies including Monbulk Fire and Rescue, Belgrave Fire Brigade , Emerald SES Unit, Police , Ambulance and Vic Roads contractors.”

“Our thoughts are with the families of the man and child.”

Both the 46-year-old and 10-year-old were seated in the front seat at the time of the incident.

They are both yet to be formally identified.